Sunday, February 7, 2010

Play Day

One day last week, the day after the realtor came to look at our house and after I had spent hours upon hours cleaning and organizing and Joel was on call at the hospital, I decided that I was going to have a work-free play day with my kids. We all needed it.

We started the morning off (of course) by making cookies! Norah loves to help and has even advanced to turning on the kitchenaid when the dough is ready to be mixed.  After licking a few spoons and plopping the cookies in the oven, Ezra went down for a nap and Norah got her first glimpse into the world of nail polish. She chose pink for her nails, orange for her toes and loved every minute of it.

IMG_9828-1    IMG_9834-1    I am obsessed with her feet!

IMG_9819-1

When Ezra woke up, we piled in the car, delivered some of the cookies to a few neighbors and then headed to the bookstore where Norah got to play with trains and stuffed animals to her heart’s delight. We had a gift card to the store so she even got to choose a book to take home with her- a rare treat!

We got home and had a special “bean soup” lunch- Norah’s favorite. Then the kids napped and I took a little “me” time- also, much needed.

When naps were over we climbed back into the car and drove to the library to get this:

The Little Mermaid [2 Discs] [Special Edition] [DVD]

Norah has never seen it (although she has several Ariel toys and books) and it is one of my all-time favorite movies. I still remember seeing it in the theater for the first time when I was a little girl and all the emotions that came with it. My littlest sister watched it so many times when it came out on DVD that I (still) have every line and song memorized.

We both put on our PJs, put Ezra to bed, popped a big bowl of popcorn and snuggled up together in my bed for an evening of mermaids and song! I did have to skip through every scene with Ursula (she is only two) but nonetheless, it was magic. It was one of the most enjoyable days I have had in a long time.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

What a great day! I am so happy you did that and I feel hopefull that someday soon I can do it too!

Caroline Brock said...

Sounds like a beautiful day--I love that you consciously decided to make it a play day--I think so many times as moms we hurry from one project to the next instead of planning for days like this...love it!